- OU SPJ members listening to the intern panel.
Last Tuesday, September 20, we hosted an intern panel in Scripps 111 with all fields of journalism represented. Catherine Caldwell, Wesley Lowery, Sarah Grothjan, Nadine Ajaka, and Graylyn Roose spoke about their experiences at their internships, which included:
- Marie Claire magazine
- The Wall Street Journal
- the Today Show
The panelists explained how they got their internships and what other students could do so that they could too. Just in case you missed it, here’s are 8 tips that the panel suggested when applying for internships.
- Make your resume stand out! Use similar letterheads on your cover letter & resume.
- Want experience in another department? Talk to other people at your internship & ask them if you could help in some way.
- Don’t complain about your work; appreciate it! Sometimes you have to do little tasks before you can show your boss that you are capable of accomplishing a lot!
- Don’t understand something? Then ask! It’ll only make you more skilled!
- Remind your boss that you’re capable of using certain software(ex: Final Cut, InDesign) so you get more experience.
- Meet everyone! You never know who could get you a job or another internship in the future.
- Don’t be afraid to apply to your dream internship!
- Have fun! While your internship is a time to learn, you should be enjoying it!
The panelists all agreed that the worst thing an intern could do is to go on Facebook.
SPJ would like to thank all the panelists. If you have any questions or comments regarding future speakers or meetings hosted by OU’s chapter of SPJ, leave a comment or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org